January 20, 2010

34 Weeks... and a little scare

Yep...I'm at 34 weeks! So only 6 weeks until my due date! Yesterday we had out regular doctor's appointment and we had a slight scare there. All my "tests" were normal (weight, urine, blood pressure, etc). Then he tried to see if he could tell which way our little bugger was facing (head up or down) he thought he was head down, yes I said thought. He likes to poke out this little round thing near the top of my left rib, so he felt that and he thought that might be the head. He tried to find his heart beat down where we did the time before and it wasn't there, so he moved up. And there it was, but didn't sound as fast as normal. So he decided to do a quick ultra sound (since we were in that room) and sure enough he's head up still. My doctor also said that I don't have a lot of amniotic fluid in there still so he wasn't sure if he'd be able to turn him if he doesn't turn on his own (meaning C-section). Then he found his heart beat again with the ultra sound and it was still slow... how slow... down to 108. For those of you that have been pregnant you know that's too low. So, he tried to see if the umbilical cord was wrapped around his neck, scary!!!!! He wasn't able to tell so he had me go down to the maternity ward on the floor below and do a non-stress test and have his heart beat monitored.

So we wonder down there and after about 20-30 minutes I get hooked up and sit there for another 30 minutes or so. His heart beat went back up to normal and stayed normal most of the time. He'd move a little and it would spike, then go down low, then go back to normal. The nurse said it looked normal to them, but to be safe I'm now going once a week to the doctor (just a little earlier than I planned on). Oh, and the other reason... apparently I'm already having some pretty "good size" contractions. While I was being monitored they showed I had two "bigger" contractions and another good size one and then some smaller ones. They said it's normal, but they only like to see 4 an hour and I had already had 3 good size ones in less than 30 minutes. So, I'm on watch to see if I go into pre-term labor. Wonderful!!

All in all, everything is fine for now. I was a little freaked out yesterday. So was Justus, but he knows with me he has to stay calm or I'll just freak out and lose it! So he tried to stay as calm as he could.

I am excited for the next few weeks though. I'm having my first shower on Saturday with some friends and I'm stoked! It's getting closer and closer and the next thing I'll know he will be here!

3 comments:

Parisa and Zac said...

I'm glad they were able to see that now so they can keep an eye on it! That is scary, anything out of the ordinary when I was prego freaked me out! I am so excited to see your cute little baby. I'm hoping I can get work off so I can come to your shower, if not I want to come by and visit and bring your gift if that's ok :)

whitnie said...

Oh that's scary! I had my girls at 35 weeks. Let me know if you have any questions or need anything since I had preterm labor and a c-section. You're so close!

Rachel W. said...

Hey Katie! Congrats on your baby! I saw that you were on my friend Teresa's blog. I had to have a c section cuz my fluid was low and they cord was wrapped around her neck! It is very scary! I am glad everything is ok! I have a blog too but mine is private so you should send me your email add to racheltranter@hotmail.com. I hope the rest of your pregnancy goes well!